- 2014 - Halifax Central Library will open
- Mid-2013 - Roof tight
- Nov. 7, 2011 - Groundbreaking
- May 2011 - Fencing to be installed around the parameter of the site and archaeological exploration to begin (expected to conclude in June).
- April 2011 - Archaeological tender awarded (4.6mb pdf)
- Spring 2011 - Construction drawings and documents
- Jan. 25, 2011 - Request for Qualifications- Public Art, Halifax Central Library closes
- Dec. 7, 2010 - EllisDon Limited awarded construction contract for the Central Library
- Dec. 2, 2010 - Request for Qualifications- Public Art, Halifax Central Library
- Nov. 4, 2010 - Design presentation (Pier 21)
- Sept. 30, 2010 - Fourth public consultation meeting for the Central Library (World Trade & Convention Centre, Grand Ballroom, Room 200 B)
- Aug. 25, 2010 - Third public consultation meeting for the Central Library (Pier 21)
- July 8, 2010 - Second public consultation meeting for the Central Library (Dalhousie Student Union Building, McInnes Room, 6136 University Ave.)
- Jun. 10, 2010 - First public consultation meeting for the Central Library (Dalhousie Student Union Building, McInnes Room, 6136 University Ave.)
- Mar. 30, 2010 - Central Library Approved (81kb pdf)
- Mar. 30, 2010- Central Library reports go before Halifax Regional Council:
- Jan. 21, 2010 - A land transfer between HRM and the province (27kb pdf) for the site of the Central Library was finalized.
- Jan. 19, 2010 - Architectural Design Services Selection for HRM Central Library Moves Ahead (78kb pdf)
- Jan. 2010 - Evaluation of proposals
- Nov. 21, 2009 - Request for Proposals - Architectural Consulting Services closes
- Nov. 9, 2009 - Request for Proposals - Architectural Consulting Services (111kb pdf)
- Nov. 5, 2009 - Four Architectural Firms Short-listed (24kb pdf)
- Oct. 2009 - Canada and Nova Scotia Support Halifax Central Library (24kb pdf)
- Sept. 30, 2009 - Expression of Interest No. 09-114 closes
- Aug. 15, 2009 - Expression of Interest No. 09-114 (73kb pdf) Architectural Consulting Services, Halifax Central Library Project
- July 2009 - The Halifax Central Library Economic Impact Assessment (8mb pdf) - Canmac Economics Ltd. - examines the economic impact of the proposed Central Library Project.
- May 26, 2009 - HRM Council approves moving forward with design process pending funding by government partners.
- Apr. 28, 2009 - HRM Council endorses the proposed Central Library as a priority infrastructure project for the municipality and requests funding under the Building Canada Infrastructure Program.
- Nov. 22, 2008 - HRM issues an RFP for the pre-development assessment of the Spring Garden Road/Queen Street Public Lands.
- Nov. 18, 2008 - HRM Council approves funding principles to support construction of a Central Library.
- Aug. 12, 2008 - HRM Council approves in principle Central Library project. Two of the three motions presented to council are approved.
- June 24, 2008 - Presentation of Building Program to HRM Council begins.
- June 2, 2008 - Third Public Meeting: chosen building model is presented. Reports from public meetings (667kb pdf)
- Apr. 9, 2008 - Second Public Meeting: 3 building models are introduced.
- Feb. 6, 2008 - First Public Meeting on the planning of a Central Library for HRM.
- Nov. 2007 - The HOK Planning Group and Halifax Public Libraries begin work on a Central Library Building Program and Space Requirements (14mb pdf)
- 2006 - The Spring Garden Road/Queen Street Area Joint Public Lands Plan (7mb pdf) - Environmental Design and Management Ltd. - Central Library would best be situated at the corner of Spring Garden Road and Queen St.
- July 2004 - Needs Assessment and Master Facilities Plan (7mb pdf) - Halifax Public Libraries
- May 2004 - Capital District Public Facilities Needs and Opportunities (2mb pdf) - HRM
- 2002 - Facilities Review and Inventory (HRL & HRM RPAM)
- 2001 - Structural Engineering Reports (HRM RPAM)
- 1997 - Central Library Project : Study for the Halifax Regional Library (29mb pdf) - A.J. Diamond, Donald Schmitt and Company - produces a report studying the role of a Central Library for HRM, the feasibility of reusing or replacing the Spring Garden Road branch and potential costs.
- 1996 -Towards a New Central Library: Present Use and Limitations of the Spring Garden Road Library and Projected Needs for a New Central Facility (31mb pdf) - Halifax City Regional Library - analyzes the pressure that would be placed on a new Central Library resulting from the newly amalgamated HRM.
- 1994 - The Halifax City Regional Library Space and Services: Needs Assessment Study (42mb pdf) - Beckman & Associates - a program analysis for a facility that would function as a Central Library for the City of Halifax.
- 1987 - Halifax Memorial Library Building Feasibility Study (32mb pdf) - Duffus, Romans, Kundzins, Rounsefell Ltd. - a look at the feasibility of expanding the Spring Garden Road branch.